Pages Tabs

12.01.2010

Lord of Arcana (Square's Monster Hunter)



Monster Hunter has become very dear to me as you all must know. It's probably very annoying by now I'm sure. But apparently I'm not the only one - Streets were lined with people in Japan looking to buy Monster Hunter Portable 3rd yesterday.

There is however a new game coming out by none other than SquareEnix. It's their version of a Monster Hunter type game, which is why I'm very interested in playing this game. Another interesting thing about it is all the artists they have contracted for character design:


  • Tetsuya Nomura (best known for his work on Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts, The World Ends with You, and Brave Fencer Musashi)
  • Yoshitaka Amano (also well known, Final Fantasy, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Vampire Hunter D, Gatchaman, Tatsunoko Productions, many many more)
  • Tod McFarlane (Whaa? Yeah Spawn*, Spider Man, Ghost Rider, many more you know)*Creator

If that's not impressive enough they also got music from:


  • Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy fame, Front Mission, Ah My Goddess Anime, SaGa series)
  • Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Shin Megami Tensei, and more)

This Line up proves impressive! I'm excited to see what SquareEnix will do with this game. It also boasts one feature that most people have been wanting out of the Monster Hunter games - a lock on button.

We'll see though!

P.S. It's a PSP game so I expect nobody but myself to really care.

5 comments:

  1. I'm really surprised the DS hasn't seen more attempts at games like these...considering how many more DSes are out there.

    Perhaps it's the system's limits, but I don't think that would really matter with the right development team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree it is surprising. But it does make sense that they would put this on PSP. In Japan the PSP is very strong, this is a Japanese company, and the kids that would enjoy this already have a PSP for Monster Hunter.

    The closest thing I've played to something like this on DS is the multiplayer game Dragon Quest IX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3DS my friends, it will change the world and your minds! It will happen... prepare for the apocalypse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish someone would make a 2D version of monsterhunter or something similar to it for the DS. If they could do it, it would be a top seller for sure. So why havnt they?? DS is the perfect platform for it.

    And I don't mean a Pokemon Ranger type XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. @GreySage, You know that's a good question since the DS was so popular around the world. We'll never know now since the 3DS is on its way, so I don't think we'll be seeing a 2D version anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be scared to join the conversation and lay your opinion down in the comments section. We just ask to be civil and keep the name calling down to a minimum.